Adopted: March 12, 2013
Heartland Bike Club
ARTICLE ONE – GENERAL
1. The name of this organization shall be the HBC.
2. The * (HBC or Club), located in Portage County, Wisconsin, is a non-profit bicycling club organized under IRC § 501(c)(7).
3. The purpose of the HBC is to provide opportunities for the bicycling pleasure and recreation of its members, and to promote and advocate for bicycling issues in Central Wisconsin.
4. The HBC consists of its members (Members), a steering committee (Steering Committee or SC), and its officers (President, Treasurer, Website Administrator, and Member Services Administrator, or Officers).
5. Members pay dues set annually by the Steering Committee and approved at the annual meeting.
6. All decisions relating to the business conducted by the HBC, including the Steering Committee, the Officers, and any sub-committees, teams, actions groups, etc., shall be made by consensus.
7. HBC communicates with Members and the public primarily through its website: www.heartlandclub.org.
ARTICLE TWO – MEMBERSHIP
1. Any person at least eighteen (18) years old who has paid the current annual dues, or paid for or received a Lifetime membership, is a Member.
2. Every Member must provide appropriate personal information
on a form designed and provided by the SC when first becoming a Member, and update such information each year upon renewal.
3. Any Member who fails to renew membership and pay dues, or whose membership has been revoked by a minimum of three-fourths (3/4) vote of the Steering Committee, shall no longer be a Member of the HBC.
ARTICLE THREE – STEERING COMMITTEE
1. STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
a. HBC shall be governed by a steering committee made up of current Members and Officers.
b. The Steering Committee (SC) shall consist of ten (10) members, six (6) at-large Members serving three (3) year staggered terms plus the President, Treasurer, Website Administrator, and Member Services Administrator.
c. Terms for SC members shall expire on April 1.
d. SC members serve at the discretion of the SC.
e. The SC shall propose and the Members shall confirm each year at the Spring General Meeting a list of candidates to replace two (2) members of the SC whose terms are due to expire. Suggestions for replacements to the SC may also be made by Members from the floor.
f. There is no limit to the number of terms Steering Committee members may serve.
g. The SC shall meet approximately quarterly as necessary for officer selection, planning, and information.
h. Aquorum to take action shall be six (6), either in person or via electronic communications.
2. STEERING COMMITTEE WORK
a. The Steering Committee shall convene an annual general meeting in early spring (Spring General Meeting) for the purpose of ride season planning, Steering Committee member and Officer selection, treasury report, advocacy projects, and information, and other as determined by the Steering Committee. Issues may be raised by the Members and acted upon at the general meeting.
b. The SC shall recommend to the Spring General Meeting Member dues and any levels of membership.
c. The SC or one of its members or Officers shall receive ride planning and hosting proposals from Members at the Spring General Meeting and via HBC website.
d. Prior to April 1 each year the SC shall announce via HBC website and other means planned weekly ride schedules for the season, hosted rides, joint club rides, and events in the form of a calendar which may be adjusted throughout the year.
e. The SC may authorize expenditures related to the purpose of the Club.
f. The SC through the Treasurer shall communicate all HBC income and expenditures via HBC website and at the Spring General Meeting.
g. The SC shall take under advisement suggestions and ideas from Members and others about improving the operations and the functioning of the Club.
h. The SC has the power and responsibility to make appointments for vacancies or absents of its members and Officers, and to discipline, including removal, SC members and Officers for cause.
i. The SC has the power to engage or contract with any person or organization to perform any duties or tasks stated in these Bylaws.
ARTICLE FOUR – OFFICERS
1. HBC Officers shall be current Members.
2. Terms for Officers shall expire on April 1.
3. There is no limit to the number of terms Officers may serve.
4. Officers serve at the discretion of the SC.
5. The SC shall propose and the Members shall confirm at the Spring General Meeting candidates to replace Officers whose terms are due to expire. Suggestions for new Officers may also be made by Members from the floor.
a. The President shall be selected by the SC and confirmed by the Members at the Spring General Meeting for a three (3) year term.
b. The President shall be an ex officio voting member of the Steering Committee and any other operating HBC committees, teams, task forces, and/or groups.
c. The President shall be the official spokes person and organizational representative for HBC.
d. The President, or Member delegate, shall chair SC meetings, and the Spring General Meeting.
e. The President shall have the responsibility and authority with SC concurrence to appoint temporary, time-and-purpose-specific committees, teams, task forces, or groups to study and respond to specific issues or challenges related to the purpose of HBC.
f. The President shall be responsible for the recruitment and retention of Members.
a. The Treasurer shall be selected by the SC and confirmed by the Members at the Spring General Meeting for a three (3) year term.
b. The Treasurer shall be an ex officio voting member of the Steering Committee.
c. The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping safe and accounting for any HBC assets and income, and paying authorized expenses.
d. The Treasurer shall publish an annual financial report which shall be distributed to the Members via the HBC website and at the Spring General Meeting.
8. WEBSITE ADMINISTRATOR
a. The Website Administrator shall be selected by the SC and confirmed by the Members at the Spring General Meeting for a three (3) year term.
b. The Website Administrator shall be an ex officio voting member of the Steering Committee.
c. The Website Administrator shall have the responsibility for and authority over all HBC electronic and Internet-based communications, including, but not limited to, the HBC website, social media, mass emailings, and so forth.
9. MEMBER SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR
a. The Member Services Administrator shall be selected by the SC and confirmed by the Members at the Spring General Meeting for a three (3) year term.
b. The Member Services Administrator shall be an ex officio voting member of the Steering Committee.
c. The Member Services Administrator shall be responsible for and have authority over HBC activities and services that relate to its Members, including, but not limited to, developing and promoting events and rides, recruiting and training event hosts and ride leaders, making calendar postings, acting as communications officer, and maintaining Member communications.
ARTICLE FIVE – ADOPTION AND AMENDMENTS
1. These Bylaws including all its provisions and directives will commence upon adoption by HBC at a Spring General Meeting based upon a recommendation and motion by the existing HBC Steering Committee.
2. These Bylaws may be amended with a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the SC following a 30 calendar day notice to Members.